Bignold House

With the help of Lanpro's heritage team who provided historic building recording and a heritage assessment the planning team are pleased to have secured planning permission and listed building consent for the conversion of the Grade II* listed Bignold House on Surrey Street, Norwich.

This local landmark building has stood vacant since 2014 and will now be sensitively converted to 13 residential apartments over four floors comprising a mix of studios, 1 and 2 bed units and a town house located on the north side, in a later extension to the main house. This is accessed via its own existing door to the front courtyard with accommodation provided over three floors. Internal alteration and sub-division within the building has been kept to a minimum to respect the significance of the listed building.

Bignold House was built in 1764 as a large private dwelling, designed by Robert Mylne with later additions by Sir Robert Soane. It was occupied as an early office by Norwich Union and was used as office accommodation by Aviva until it was vacated in 2014.. The grand entrance hall contains decorative wooden panelling recording the names of the Directors of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society from 1797 to 1897 and this will be retained. Internal alteration and sub-division within the building has been kept to a minimum to respect the significance of the listed building.

In granting Listed Building consent, Norwich City Council has concluded the proposals represent the optimum viable use of the building that will assist in enabling its refurbishment and future upkeep.

This local landmark building has stood vacant since 2014 and will now be sensitively converted to 13 residential apartments over four floors comprising a mix of studios, 1 and 2 bed units and a town house located on the north side, in a later extension to the main house. This is accessed via its own existing door to the front courtyard with accommodation provided over three floors. Internal alteration and sub-division within the building has been kept to a minimum to respect the significance of the listed building.

Bignold House was built in 1764 as a large private dwelling, designed by Robert Mylne with later additions by Sir Robert Soane. It was occupied as an early office by Norwich Union and was used as office accommodation by Aviva until it was vacated in 2014.. The grand entrance hall contains decorative wooden panelling recording the names of the Directors of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society from 1797 to 1897 and this will be retained. Internal alteration and sub-division within the building has been kept to a minimum to respect the significance of the listed building.

In granting Listed Building consent, Norwich City Council has concluded the proposals represent the optimum viable use of the building that will assist in enabling its refurbishment and future upkeep.

Norwich
t: 01603 631319
Chelmsford
t: 01245 929074
Retford
t: 01777 552001
London
t: 020 3011 0820
Manchester
t: 0161 7111740
Cambridge
t: 01223 778160